[odb-users] odb-2.2.1 should install the odb.so plugin into $(gcc -print-file-name=plugin)

Hugo.Mildenberger at web.de Hugo.Mildenberger at web.de
Thu Mar 14 11:16:39 EDT 2013

Hi Boris,

 Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com> wrote:
 > I also thought about this. But assuming the "same prefix" approach,
 > there is no way to install multiple versions of the ODB compiler
 > driver (i.e., there is no /usr/bin/odb-2.1.0 and /usr/bin/odb-2.2.0).
 > So even if we add the version to the .so name, it will only be
 > possible to load the version corresponding to the current /usr/bin/odb.

Such a situation can and should be handled by a package manager, externally from the ODB installer. Gentoo's "Portage" system provides so called 'slots' for this, making it easy to use several versions in parallel (and/or switch between any of them). I could implement this for the ODB compiler driver too if you think that switching back and forth between ODB versions is a common use case. Things get complicated only because the "odb.so" plugin must _also_ match the GCC version it was compiled with.  I'd think that other distributions should support parallel installations as well. After all, it is very common that package A only relies on having B-3.2 installed whereas C only works with B-2.5.

 >I will try to implement the idea as discussed and let you know when
 >it is ready to try.

Will do. I've reported this as a problem I've encountered only by chance. So give your ideas time to settle.

Hugo