[odb-users] gcc plugin support on RHEL/CentOS 5 and 6?

Dave Johansen davejohansen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 10:13:42 EST 2013

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 3:38 AM, Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com>wrote:

> Dave Johansen <davejohansen at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > RedHat is making GCC 4.7 available for RHEL 5/6, but it's not available
> as
> > part of the EPEL or any other standard source for CentOS:
> >
> http://www.redhat.com/summit/2012/pdf/2012-DevDay-How-To-Toolset-Newsome.pdf
>
> Thanks for sharing the link. I believe this is exactly what we need. It
> will be much, much better than building and packaging our own GCC. The
> end-users won't even have to use GCC 4.7 to build their application.
> They can continue using GCC 4.1/4.4 and the ODB compiler will under
> the hood use GCC 4.7 to do its work (so no need for that "enable ..."
> calls mentioned on the slides). In other words, the way I see this
> working from the user perspective:
>
> 1. Install GCC 4.7 .rpm from Developer Tools.
>
> 2. Install ODB compiler rpm (built with GCC 4.7).
>
> 3. Install ODB runtime .rpm's (built with GCC 4.1/4.4).
>
> 4. Build your application with GCC 4.1/4.4 without any concern for GCC 4.7
>    (of course, if you want to use 4.7, nothing prevents you from doing so).
>
> I did some Google'ing and there appears to be a CentOS build of Developer
> Tools:
>
> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39506
>
> Also, someone is working on the same for Scientific Linux:
>

> http://www.mail-archive.com/scientific-linux-users@listserv.fnal.gov/msg12452.html
>
> And, it appears that plugin support is enabled! I see for CentOS there is
> this package:
>
> devtoolset-1.0-gcc-plugin-devel-4.7.0-5.2.el5.centos.x86_64.rpm
>
> Which I assume includes the plugin headers needed to build ODB (at least
> that's what a package with the same name in Fedora contains). I think we
> are all sorted.
>
> Boris

I agree that that would be a much simpler solution, but the issue is that
that is still a "testing only" build. I'm sure that's just part of the
standard warnings that they throw out for that sort of stuff and it would
work fine, but it would be nice if it was integrated into one of the
standard CentOS sources for RPMs and didn't require installing a random
testing repo. Maybe I'll see if I can help get that moved over to a
standard channel on CentOS as part of this effort.

Thanks,
Dave