[odb-users] gcc plugin support on RHEL/CentOS 5 and 6?

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Sun Jan 13 05:38:16 EST 2013

Dave Johansen <davejohansen at gmail.com> writes:

> RedHat is making GCC 4.7 available for RHEL 5/6, but it's not available as
> part of the EPEL or any other standard source for CentOS:
> http://www.redhat.com/summit/2012/pdf/2012-DevDay-How-To-Toolset-Newsome.pdf

Thanks for sharing the link. I believe this is exactly what we need. It
will be much, much better than building and packaging our own GCC. The
end-users won't even have to use GCC 4.7 to build their application.
They can continue using GCC 4.1/4.4 and the ODB compiler will under
the hood use GCC 4.7 to do its work (so no need for that "enable ..."
calls mentioned on the slides). In other words, the way I see this
working from the user perspective:

1. Install GCC 4.7 .rpm from Developer Tools.

2. Install ODB compiler rpm (built with GCC 4.7).

3. Install ODB runtime .rpm's (built with GCC 4.1/4.4).

4. Build your application with GCC 4.1/4.4 without any concern for GCC 4.7
   (of course, if you want to use 4.7, nothing prevents you from doing so).

I did some Google'ing and there appears to be a CentOS build of Developer
Tools:

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39506

Also, someone is working on the same for Scientific Linux:

http://www.mail-archive.com/scientific-linux-users@listserv.fnal.gov/msg12452.html

And, it appears that plugin support is enabled! I see for CentOS there is
this package:

devtoolset-1.0-gcc-plugin-devel-4.7.0-5.2.el5.centos.x86_64.rpm

Which I assume includes the plugin headers needed to build ODB (at least
that's what a package with the same name in Fedora contains). I think we
are all sorted.