[xsd-users] autogenerate graphical user interface (GUI in QT)

Erik Sjölund erik.sjolund at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 16:17:55 EST 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 8:56 PM, Boris Kolpackov
<boris at codesynthesis.com> wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> Erik Sjölund <erik.sjolund at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Is there any way to autogenerate a graphical user interface (for
>> instance in QT) with CodeSynthesis XSD?
>> By this I mean generating a dialog window where configuration values
>> corresponding to the XML schema.could be filled in.
>
> No, there is no way. In the general case this is not a well defined
> problem (how do you represent nested elements that themselves have
> elements/attributes? as nested dialogs? how do you capture sequences
> of such elements? etc). However, for some simple case it should be
> quite easy to customize the XSD compiler to generate something like
> this from the schema and maybe even populate the C++/Tree object model
> with the values provided by the user.
>
> Boris

Ok, I see. I was also thinking of the simpler cases, for instance a
configuration for some program. One way could possibly be to provide
some extensions to the current data object classes. The extensions
would not contain any GUI widget knowledge but instead more things
like element names as strings, pointers to set- and get-functions. The
GUI widget mappings could later be written by using those extensions.
cheers,
Erik