[xsd-users] generate HTML documentation with hyperlinks between XML, XSD and doxygen-generated HTML

Erik Sjölund erik.sjolund at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 05:15:07 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com>wrote:

> Erik Sjölund <erik.sjolund at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Is there a way to generate HTML documentation that shows an example XML
> > file with hyperlinks to the doxygen-generated C++ HTML documentation?
>
> I don't understand the difference between "HTML documentation" and
> "doxygen-generated C++ HTML documentation". What is "HTML documentation"
> based on?

I hope the following example will clarify what I mean.

If we for a second forget about Doxygen and just look at the example of
mapping an XML file to its XSD file, we could use HTML anchors to reference
positions inside an HTML web page (e.g. <a href="hello.xsd.html#greeting">)

$ cd examples/cxx/tree/hello
$ find . -cmin -1 -type f
$ nonexistentsoftware hello.xsd hello.xml
$ find . -cmin -1 -type f
./hello.xml.html
./hello.xsd.html
$ grep greeting hello.xml
<greeting>Hello</greeting>
$ grep greeting hello.xml.html
<a
href="hello.xsd.html#greeting">&lt;greeting&gt;</a>Hello&lt;/greeting&gt;<br/>
$ grep greeting hello.xsd | grep xsd:element
      <xsd:element name="greeting" type="xsd:string">
$ grep greeting hello.xsd.html | grep "a name"
<a name="greeting"></a>      &lt;xsd:element name="greeting"
type="xsd:string"&gt;<br/>
$

I guess similar hyperlinks could be added to point into the generated
doxgen documentation.

cheers,
Erik