[xsd-users] XSD and VC8 issues

B Hart bhartsb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 04:50:29 EDT 2009

 I have a need to use XSD for reading/writing C++ object configuration files
as XML.  I am having issues just getting a very simple XML file to read in.
Hopefully someone can help.  Here are the steps I've followed:

1.  downloaded XSD, installed it, created a very simple xsd schema following
the example in cxx-tree-guide.pdf, and then generated with XSD two files
test.hxx and text.cxx.
2.  incorporated test.hxx and test.cxx into a MSVC 2005 (VC 8) built
project.  In doing so I included the xercesc include folders, and
xerces-c_3.lib which i located in the XSD distribution. ( Note, I downloaded
xercesc and built it as a static library but then found the xerces-c_3.lib
in the folders that XSD installed to.  I noted that the xerces-c_3.lib
provided with the XSD installation is much smaller than the xerces-c_3.lib
that I compiled.  I used the XSD version.)  I added the appropriate include
and .lib entries in the project properties.
3.  I then try to read the simple XML file which was provided in
cxx-tree-guide.pdf.  In doing so I get:

Access violation writing location 0x00438830.
Unhandled exception at 0x00414994 in testXML.exe

and break at the following line in the debugger:

auto_ptr(auto_ptr_ref<_Ty> _Right) _THROW0()
        {    // construct by assuming pointer from _Right auto_ptr_ref
        _Ty **_Pptr = (_Ty **)_Right._Ref;
        _Ty *_Ptr = *_Pptr;
break is here--->        *_Pptr = 0;    // release old
        _Myptr = _Ptr;    // reset this
        }

the DLL is in the folder and I also tried the static lib but got linker
issues.
Some simple instructions for VC8 for doing a test project would be greatly
welcome.

Thanks.