[xsd-users] Building examples on Linux

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Jul 31 16:19:00 EDT 2006

Jason,

I've CC'ed the xsd-users mailing list to my reply. This is the place
to ask technical questions about XSD. Archives of this mailing list
are available[1].

Jason Wang <jwang at saic-asd.com> writes:

> I need some help (or more detailed documents) on building the xsd for
> different platform (starting from Linux).  I am not quite familiar with
> build (I have been using autoconf).  So any help is appreciated.

You don't really have to build XSD; precompiled binaries are available[2]
for all supported platforms (including Windows, Linux and Solaris).
If you really want build XSD from scratch yourself, there are build
instructions for Windows[3] which you can also use for Unix-like
platforms.

> I also failed to compile the examples with in
> xsd-2.2.0-i686-linux-gnu/examples/.../hello
>
> I know I need to set up a few libraries and env variables.  I may need a
> little more detailed document/forum archives, etc.

The usage of precompiled binaries is described in the accompanying
README files which are also available from the download page[2]. For
Linux you will need to install (or build) Xerces-C++. There are RPMs
for Redhat;  just search for xerces-c and xerces-c-devel on
http://rpm.pbone.net (you will need both xerces-c and xerces-c-devel
packages). After that you should be all set to build the examples (as
described in the README).

Let me know if you have further questions or run into any problems.

[1] http://codesynthesis.com/pipermail/xsd-users/
[2] http://codesynthesis.com/products/xsd/download.xhtml
[3] http://codesynthesis.com/projects/xsd/extras/build-windows.xhtml