[odb-users] Dockerized odb build

Doug Donohoe doug at donohoe.info
Sun Nov 27 13:04:11 EST 2022

Hi odb community:

In an effort to get a multi-architecture Docker image of vcf-validator
<https://github.com/EBIvariation/vcf-validator> working so I could use it
on my M1 Mac, I ended up building the latest odb in Docker.  I thought it
might be useful for this community.

This is the PR:  https://github.com/EBIvariation/vcf-validator/pull/221
(checkout the Dockerfile and related Makefile commands).

For the purposes of this email, I created an odb branch
<https://github.com/dougdonohoe/vcf-validator/tree/odb> which has an
odb-only Dockerfile.  Here's how to test it out.

git clone git at github.com:dougdonohoe/vcf-validator.git
cd vcf-validator
git checkout odb
REPO_NAME=my-odb make build-odb
docker run -it --rm my-odb/odb:2.5.0-b.23 odb --version

This should work on amd64 and arm64 architectures (e.g., old and new Macs).

Thanks and hopefully this helps someone.

Doug Donohoe