[odb-users] odb-compiler errors with make -j ?

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Feb 19 09:44:14 EST 2020

Quentin Deldycke <quentindeldycke at gmail.com> writes:

> The odb version is a the one from this url:
> https://www.codesynthesis.com/download/odb/2.4/odb-2.4.0-1.x86_64.rpm
>
> It packages it's own gcc:

Ah, ok.

> odb 2.5 is not a trivial update from my point of view. I need to see if it
> is possible with my
> old rhel 7...

If you can get GCC 5 or later (just to build/run the ODB compiler,
everything else can continue using GCC 4.8.2), then I think it should
be pretty straightforward.

I would look into getting the RedHat developer toolset:

https://developers.redhat.com/products/developertoolset/updates

It seems you can get version 7 for RHEL 7 which has GCC 7.2.1.

> Is it possible to have a odb 2.5 compiler which can pre-process file for a
> odb 2.4 library?

Not sure exactly what you mean by this (if you want to use 2.5 ODB compiler
with 2.4 libodb* libraries, then no).

Generally, I don't believe there are any breaking changes in 2.5 compared
to 2.4 so it should be a matter of re-compiling your headers with the new
ODB compiler and linking to new libodb* libraries.