[odb-users] ETA for ODB 2.5.0 (RC or release) packages

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Nov 11 10:42:42 EST 2019

Sean Clarke <sean.clarke at sec-consulting.co.uk> writes:

> Sorry, I should have been clearer - I was referring to the debian packages
> available on your website.. I gave up on the distros distributed version
> long ago for the reasons you give.

We have no plans to provide those after 2.4.0: building version-
independent (i.e., statically-linked) distribution packages is
more of a brittle hack than a long-term solution. And providing
version-specific package is beyond our capacity.

> It looks OK for development, not so great for production where you do not
> want compilers etc. installed,

If you don't want to build from source in production (understandably),
then provided your development (or build) machine is the same as your
production, you can build there, install everything into a separate
directory (see also config.install.chroot) and then ship the binaries
(either as simple .tar.?z or even custom deb/rpm/etc).

> Yes, this was my issue - build2 pulled in and built against later versions
> than the platforms are distributed with.

I don't think there is a general solution to this "my development
platform does not match my deployment" problem. With build2, if you
use the above method and build everything from source (as opposed
to using system-installed dependencies), you can probably get away
with it as long as your libc/libstdc++ are the same or ABI-compatible
(which is normally the case).