[odb-users] ETA for ODB 2.5.0 (RC or release) packages

Sean Clarke sean.clarke at sec-consulting.co.uk
Fri Nov 8 01:56:05 EST 2019

On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 at 14:29, Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com>
wrote:

> Sean Clarke <sean.clarke at sec-consulting.co.uk> writes:
>
> >     is there a timeline for when we can expect some official distro
> > packages for ODB 2.5.0?
>
> Uh, I don't think anyone can predict when (or even if) the next release
> of ODB (once released) will appear in official distribution package
> repositories -- this is done by volunteers and depends on each
> distribution's policies/priorities/etc.

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I was referring to the debian packages
available on your website.. I gave up on the distros distributed version
long ago for the reasons you give.

> I am not denying that using build2 is probably less convenient than
> using your distribution's package manager, at least initially. But
> it's a tradeoff: in return we can fix issues and make them available
> to you in a matter of minutes.

It looks OK for development, not so great for production where you do not
want compilers etc. installed,

I would be happy to help you with this if you can provide more
> details. In particular, you can instruct build2 to use system-
> installed libraries for any of the dependencies. The installation
> instructions[2] mention this explicitly:
>
> "Note that by default the underlying database libraries (libsqlite3,
> libmysqlclient, and libpq) will be built from source packages. If you would
> prefer to use the system-installed versions, adjust the corresponding build
> commands as follows:"
>
> $ bpkg build libodb-sqlite ?sys:libsqlite3
> $ bpkg build libodb-pgsql  ?sys:libpq
> $ bpkg build libodb-mysql  ?sys:libmysqlclient

Yes, this was my issue - build2 pulled in and built against later versions
than the platforms are distributed with.

Now CMake is cross platform (fully supported in WIndows VS) what does
build2 give you over and above CMake or Cmake + Conan (or similiar).

Regards
Sean