[odb-users] Will the autotools build be support with >=2.5.0

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Jun 10 08:40:27 EDT 2019

Heiko Becker <heirecka at exherbo.org> writes:

> I wonder if autotools based builds of odb and friends will still be
> supported with versions >= 2.5.0?

We are still on the fence about it.

The autotools (and VC project) support hasn't been removed from master
but it hasn't been maintained and it's very unlikely we will have the
resources (no desire, to be honest) to do this ourselves. So unless
someone steps up, it's unlikely autotools support will remain.

> While I understand that build2 is the new, preferred thing, it brings a lot
> unnecessary complexity (at least from the viewpoint of a distro packager),
> overlaps with the native package manager and more importantly doesn't use
> system libs, but installs its bundled libs instead.

You can use a system-installed library in place of any dependency. In
fact, build2 was designed from grounds up with distribution packaging
in mind and to work well with system package managers. See the following
FAQ entry for details:

https://build2.org/faq.xhtml#why-syspkg

But if you see some problems, I would be happy to hear more and to try
to address them.