[odb-users] ODBC Generic

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Jan 22 08:15:54 EST 2019

Carlo CANOBBIO <carlo.canobbio at hsi.ch> writes:

> I have seen that the support of MS SQL is made through "SQL Server
> Native Client" ODBC driver. I have tried to use it with Pervasive
> SQL but the MS SQL syntax is not compatible with it.

Right, even though the API is ODBC-based, it is very specific to MSSQL.

> You think that is it a good idea to develop a generic ODBC support
> with personalizable syntax ?

I don't believe this will work out very well. Experience shows that
anything beyond basic functionality requires tight knowledge/integration
with the database in question, especially if the goal is to achieve
optimal performance.