[odb-users] GCC Headers on MacOS X

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Sep 21 21:17:53 EDT 2016

Hi Lukas,

Lukas Obermann <obermann.lukas at gmail.com> writes:

> I am trying to build ODB on a Mac. I am integrating it into a existing
> build system, so I do want to avoid using the pre-built versions and get
> the build running, as it will also be build on Windows and Linux (will test
> those next).

I must warn you, Windows will be really hard (as in "patching GCC" hard).

> Executing a gcc --version gives me following:
>
> $ gcc --version
> Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr
> --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
> Apple LLVM version 7.3.0 (clang-703.0.31)
> Target: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0
> Thread model: posix
> InstalledDir:
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin

This is actually not GCC, it is Apple's Clang pretending to be GCC.

To build ODB from source on Mac OS you will need to build GCC with plugin
support enabled (--enable-plugin configure option). You could also try
GCC from homebrew though I am not sure if it's built with plugins enabled
these days.