[odb-users] Use of thread local storage in ODB

Hales, Steve Steve.Hales at garmin.com
Fri Sep 2 19:54:49 EDT 2016

My team has created an iOS app that uses ODB. We recently submitted the app to Apple to be published in the app store. Our app was rejected due to the presence of the symbol "__tlv_bootstrap" which Apple considers to be part of an unapproved private API. Our research indicates that this symbol results from use of the "__thread" modifier to create a thread local variable. The only place we can find __thread in our code is in the ODB header tls.hxx where it appears to take effect when POSIX threads are enabled. When we built the ODB library for our app we specified --enable-threads in the configure step. Can you tell us if that header, specifically the __thread use, is likely to be included in our code? If so, would rebuilding ODB with threads disabled remove it? And what effect might that have on our app?

Thanks,
Steve

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be Garmin confidential and/or Garmin legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.