[odb-users] Easiest transition from SQLite

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Feb 23 09:39:24 EST 2016

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Cunningham <andrew at a-cunningham.com> writes:

> I want to experiment with moving my ODB/SQLite to MySQL, Postgres, MSSQL,
> Oracle....
> The database would be hosted on the same machine as the client process.
>
> So typically what is the easiest/simplest server database to experiment
> with and set up?

Any client-server database will be a lot more cumbersome to use in this
setup than SQLite. Especially on Windows. Just a warning ;-).

Also, while I have no experience with it whatsoever, MySQL has something
called an embedded server. Maybe it's worth exploring...

Next is MySQL vs PostgreSQL: my suggestion, is, unless you have a very
good reason, to go with Postgres.

Finally, SQL Server and Oracle will probably be even more difficult to
setup, especially if you want to support multiple platforms.