[odb-users] Windows builds..

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Dec 5 10:17:04 EST 2016

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Cunningham <andrew at a-cunningham.com> writes:

> The various windows builds create DLLS in bin64 such as
> odb-2.5-vc12.dll
> but the import libraries in lib64 end up being
> odb.lib
>
> That creates all sorts of problems when trying to use multiple versions of
> Visual Studio and the same ODB version.

Well, I don't see how this by itself creates problems. Perhaps what's
creating problems it the fact that "VC++ Directories" are shared among
various Visual Studio versions (one of those "brilliant" ideas from MS)?
If that's the case, then the way we work around this is with this trick:
we include the VC version into the "VC++ Directories" paths via a macro.
For example:

C:\projects\libodb-vc$(VisualStudioVersion)\lib

Then we name our directories like so:

libodb-vc11.0
libodb-vc12.0
libodb-vc14.0

> I would prefer the import libraries be (say) odb-2.5-vc12.lib

This will make migrating VC projects (tests, examples, etc) even more
painful.

But, in any case, all this .vc(x)proj stuff is going to EOL'ed soon
and once we use build2 you will be able to name your libraries however
you like, for example:

b config.bin.lib.suffix=-andrews-vc12