[odb-users] Ubuntu 15.10 beta1 - gcc/g++ 5

László Böszörményi (GCS) gcs at debian.org
Mon Aug 31 09:06:57 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 2:38 PM, Boris Kolpackov
<boris at codesynthesis.com> wrote:
> Sean Clarke <sean.clarke at sec-consulting.co.uk> writes:
>>     just looking at upgrading/developing with the latest Ubuntu and I seem
>> to get errors relating to odb plugin not being available in
>> the /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/plugin directory.
>>
>> The compiler versions (at the moment) are listed as:
>>
>> gcc-5/g++-5      5.2.1-15ubuntu
 Yes, this is known. Previously Debian / Ubuntu used GCC 4.9 as
default. Now there's a big transition (several major ones to be exact)
while we transition to GCC 5 [1] as default.
As ODB was built with GCC 4.9 , it's expected that GCC 5 and stuff
will not find it. Needs a recompilation - I don't know if it needs to
be a binNMU or we can expect a new upstream release soon.

> Here is the situation: currently, in Debian (and thus Ubuntu) the ODB
> compiler is built for the default GCC compiler (i.e., what get's run
> when you type 'g++'). So I guess there is a mismatch between the
> default GCC compiler and what ODB was built with (or you overrode
> the GCC binary that the ODB compiler should use with the -x option).
 Yes, it's a version mismatch, see above. The other problem can be the
std::system_error() incompatibility[2]. But I could not yet test it.
:( Boris, are you aware of this?

Cheers,
Laszlo/GCS
[1] https://wiki.debian.org/GCC5#Update_to_GCC_5