[odb-users] Ubuntu 15.10 beta1 - gcc/g++ 5

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Aug 31 08:38:29 EDT 2015

Hi Sean,

Sean Clarke <sean.clarke at sec-consulting.co.uk> writes:

>     just looking at upgrading/developing with the latest Ubuntu and I seem
> to get errors relating to odb plugin not being available in
> the /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/plugin directory.
>
> The compiler versions (at the moment) are listed as:
>
> gcc-5/g++-5      5.2.1-15ubuntu
>
> Not major as we just wanted a quick "look=see" the latest version, but
> thought you might want to know - guessing it will be a Ubuntu packaging
> issue and not related to odb directly (I see you list as it being
> compatible with gcc 5 anyway).

Here is the situation: currently, in Debian (and thus Ubuntu) the ODB
compiler is built for the default GCC compiler (i.e., what get's run
when you type 'g++'). So I guess there is a mismatch between the
default GCC compiler and what ODB was built with (or you overrode
the GCC binary that the ODB compiler should use with the -x option).

Having said that, ODB has full support for being able to load the
correct plugin for the version of GCC being used. All one has to do
is build and package plugins for the available GCC variants. Once
this is done, you should be able to do:

odb -x g++-4.9 ...
odb -x g++-5 ...