[odb-users] "unable to extract profile paths"

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Sat Sep 13 14:43:28 EDT 2014

Hi Adnan,

Adnan RIHAN <adnan at rihan.fr> writes:

> I’m on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), and I’ve reinstalled ODB (compiler),
> libodb, libodb-qt and libodb-sqlite.

Did you build the ODB compiler yourself or did you use the pre-built
ODB compiler binary for Mac OS?

> Now I’m trying to compile one file, and I have an error: "unable to
> extract profile paths".

This normally means that the ODB compiler was unable to execute the
g++ executable. And the way to figure out why this happens depends
on the answer to the above questions. Generally:

1. If you are using the pre-built ODB package, then try to run g++
   that comes with it on some test C++ file (e.g., a "Hello World"
   program):

   odb-2.3.0-i686-macosx/lib/odb/i686-apple-darwin8/bin/g++ -c hello.cpp

   And see if it works. If it fails, try again with the -v option and
   then send the complete diagnostics that you see.

2. If you built your own ODB/GCC, then try to specify the g++ executable
   that ODB should use on the command line, for example:

   odb -x /path/to/g++ ...