[odb-users] Approaching the cross platform concern

Michael Powell mwpowellhtx at gmail.com
Tue May 21 08:06:57 EDT 2013

Hello,

I've touched on it before, and forgive me, perhaps it is a cultural or
language gap. My apologies if any of this is well covered in
documentation I just haven't read yet.

When we talk about cross compiling any code generating type helper, in
this case for an ODB-supported C++ ORM, for ARM in our case, as far as
ODB is concerned, there is the host platform where ORM glue code is
generated.

Then whatever cross compile toolchain for the target platform; we are
using Sourcery CodeBench, but it's conceivable we will use some flavor
of Qt toolchain somewhere in the loop as well.

Must I configure and build the ODB library using both native and cross
compile toolchains in order for this to work? So, potentially, we
would end up with a couple of paths in our header and library paths:
/path/to/odb/x86/include, /path/to/odb/x86/lib,
/path/to/odb/arm/include, and so on.

Assuming this is accurate, it is possible to build ODB to link
statically, presumably through whatever intermediate glue code is
generated? I am likely not clear what intermediate files are for code
generation, versus which are for the target platform.

At some point I'll move from asking questions to just doing it, but
right now it's a bit fuzzy with me.

Much appreciated.

Regards,

Michael Powell