[odb-users] Intermittent problems building solution

Hugo.Mildenberger at web.de Hugo.Mildenberger at web.de
Thu Jul 18 12:17:29 EDT 2013

Boris,

  On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 15:10:19 +0200
  Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com> wrote:

  > So we would need to somehow filter the errors from the user's C++
  > compiler invocation. And we will have to do it for quite a few C++
  > compiler brands/versions (GCC, Clang, VC++, Sun CC). Sounds like
  > quite a project on its own.

Of course. The framework for doing this should indeed be an independent project with specific implementations for each target compiler. I thought of a small program taking the error output of the C++ compiler as its input and run it optionally as a part of the build process. It could also sensibly used off-site with nothing but the C++ error list. The general idea probably works with any kind of C++ pre-compiler, not only ODB. I'd expect that it will reduce the support costs as much as it enables the application developers to understand the real nature of the problem in almost no time.

Hugo