[odb-users] RE: about adding support of firebird to ODB

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Jan 23 07:58:39 EST 2013

Hi Tony,

Tony Rietwyk <tony.rietwyk at rightsoft.com.au> writes:

> Best to keep questions on the list, so that others can see the results.

Yes, thanks for CC'ing odb-users, much appreciated.

> Otherwise, converting odb\sqlite to use IBPP objects instead looks
> straightforward - and is much easier than the Firebird API directly.

I took a look at IBPP samples and the API looks fairly clean. However,
generally, in ODB, we prefer to use the low-level, native C API for
the following reasons:

1. No extra dependencies.

2. Smaller footprint and better performance (no extra "abstraction"
   layer overhead).

3. Access to all the features exposed by the native API.

> It might be hard to map Firebird's transactions, to those required by
> odb.

Hm, can you elaborate? Looking at IBPP sample code, their transaction
semantics is pretty much exactly the same as in ODB. So if they could
wrap the C API like this then so should we.

In general, I think IBPP will be a great reference for how to handle
things like transactions, prepared queries, etc.