[odb-users] ODB Help with qualifier ID and object id

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon May 23 16:42:35 EDT 2011

Hi,

art at it-gen.net writes:

> Please give an example the recommended behaviour for a situation when
> there is no necessity for a separate field which contains value object
> id. As qualifier id is obligatory it is necessary to enter redundancy
> into structure of tables for which the concept object id basically is
> not necessary.

There are two possible ways we can support this. The first is to have
an implicit id, for example unsigned long long with auto-assignment
semantics. In this case, while the object does not have the id member,
the table still has the id column (which is also a primary key).

The second approach is not to have the id column either. In other
words, the resulting table will not have a primary key. This is legal
from the database standpoint but somewhat unusual from the the design
perspective.

Which of the above two scenarios do you have?