[odb-users] Fix with-libodb configure option

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Thu May 19 11:50:44 EDT 2011

Hi Michal,

Michal Demin <michal.demin at gmail.com> writes:

> Attached is patch for m4 script that fixes --with-libodb= configure option.
>
> Currently when with-libodb is used, it will try to link library from
> non-existing directory. One would assume that using $prefix from libodb
> as the with-libodb parameter would be enough.
>
> This is useful when someone doesn't want system-wide installation of odb.

The original intent of the --with-libodb option (and other --with-xxx options
in ODB in general), is to allow you to use the non-installed build directory
of a library. While I suppose we could check both (first as a build directory,
then as an install directory), the problem is that the default include/library
directories could be changed, for example, with something like this:

--lib-prefix .../lib64

The way we thought that the non-default installed directories would be handled
is with the CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS configure variables:

./configure CPPFLAGS=-I.../include LDFLAGS=-L../lib64

This is a bit more verbose but also more robust.

So I tend to think that we should not apply this patch. What do you think?