[odb-users] Compatibility with Third Party Middleware (Apache Thrift)

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Jun 28 10:37:25 EDT 2011

Hi Thomas,

Szumowski, Thomas <thomas.szumowski at lmco.com> writes:

> Note the example I attached (rename from .allow to .zip), specifically
> "ODBTest.h" and odb_compile_output.txt. When I attempt to compile, I
> get the following seg fault in std-vector-traits listed below. (The
> code is provided for reference only as the Windows Thrift environment
> takes some time to set up).

It is much easier to install Thrift on a Linux box so I tried that.
In this setup the ODB compiler compiles your test without any problems.

Would you be able to get the preprocessed source for your ODBTest.h
file and send it to me? This way I would be able to try it with the
Windows version of ODB without having to setup Thrift. You can get
the preprocessed source by adding these options to the ODB command
line:

-x -E -x -o -x ODBTest.i

> I figured it was a longshot to get ODB and Thrift interoperable on
> the first shot. This is especially true because Apache relies on
> external software like pthread-win32 and boost.

I don't see why merely including some headers should lead to the
ODB compiler breaking. This is definitely something we would want
to fix.

> Any idea why the seg-fault may be occurring for a more general
> perspective?

Most likely an ODB compiler bug. Will hopefully find out more with
the preprocessed source.