[odb-users] Build odb on win32

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Sat Jul 9 15:49:14 EDT 2011

Hi Graf,

Graf László <grafl at datatrans.hu> writes:

> I would like to build the odb packages on windows xp sp3
> using vs2008. I red the documentation about this topic on
> your site and I found these lines:
>
> "In order to build ODB source packages you will need Microsoft
> Visual Studio 2008 (VC++ 9.0) or later. You will also most
> likely need a client library for the database system of your
> choice. For example, for MySQL you need the libmysqlclient
> library. The INSTALL file accompanying each database runtime
> library has more information on the database-specific
> prerequisites."
>
> OK, I have the vs2008 but after creating the solution and
> the odb project but during the compile process I get these errors below.
> Where can I find the cutl library or other missing files?

The above instructions are for building the ODB runtime libraries
(libodb and libodb-<db>) on Windows using Visual Studio 2008. From
your build log I see that you are trying to build the ODB compiler
itself.

Underneath the ODB compiler is implemented as GCC plugin and it
cannot be built with VC++. In fact building the ODB compiler for
Windows is quite a complicated process (it is built as custom
MinGW toolchain). Because of that, we provide a pre-built ODB
compiler distribution (called odb-.x.y.z-i686-windows) which
can be used out of the box (you will still need to build the
runtime libraries mentioned above with your version of VC++).