[xsd-users] abstract type and its c++ equivalent

Klima Georg G.Klima at durst-online.at
Tue Apr 23 04:02:51 EDT 2013

Hello all,

I'm having troubles understanding why an abstract schema type isn't mapped to an abstract / pure virtual / not instantiable class type in c++?

And further why there is a clone method in an abstract type class?

It seems to me that abstract types are instantiable in c++ and  I don't understand the reason for this behaviour, since there is no valid schema that could store/serialize this "illegal" instance of an abstract type.

Please help me, I just don't understand it!

My motivation for this problem is that I'm implementing a visitor pattern and so can't implement pure virtual functions within classes of schema abstract types.

Best regards
Georg