[studxml-users] New to libstudxml

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Thu Nov 30 11:51:05 EST 2017

Jeroen N. Witmond <jnw at xs4all.nl> writes:

> - https://www.codesynthesis.com/projects/libstudxml/doc/INSTALL states "One
> configure option worth mentioning is --with-extern-expat. It makes
> libstudxml use an external Expat library rather than bulding-in the internal
> version." The option name actually used is --with-external-expat

In master all this autoconf cruft is gone (replaced with build2). So I
consider this fixed ;-).

> - When I use this option, ./confure fails with "configure: error: expat is
> not found; consider using CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS to specify its location".
> However, the following files are installed on my system (Debian stretch):
> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexpat.so.1
> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexpat.so.1.6.2
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexpatw.so.1
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexpatw.so.1.6.2

Have you installed libexpat-dev? If yes, check config.log for more
information on what's wrong.

> - Without this option, configure and make succeed. Then I noticed that the
> roundtrip example is not completely roundtrip: The input starts with <?xml
> version="1.0"?> but this does not appear in the output.

Yes, the parser does not yet report the XML declaration (I am not sure if
Expat has a callback for that). Patches are welcome.

> For what I have seen in the documentation and examples, libstudxml appears
> to be a useful library. I hope the above helps in a small way to improve it.

Thanks!

Boris