[xsstl-users] Re: Datatypes Repository?

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue May 2 14:23:10 EDT 2006

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for your ideas. Please see my comments below. I've also CC'ed
xsstl-users mailing list.

Gavin Kistner <gavin.kistner at anark.com> writes:

> This is a great start. However, if I may, I think that the website
> should have two features that it does not currently have:
>
> 	1) Allow users to browse each type and copy out just the needed
> code.

The problem with this approach is that it does not scale to compound
types, i.e., those that are built using other types. I am trying
to group such interdependent types into one schema file so that the
schema file is self-sufficient. However, I can imagine cases where
this will not be possible.

For now I made individual schema files available online so that one
can pick only files/types that are necessary.

> 	2) Allow users to directly define new types, in a web form.

This has scalability/tractability issues, IMO:

1. We need a point of contact for copyright/licensing purposes.

2. Compound types and dependencies will be tricky to submit. Also
   it is not clear in which file the type ends up and how to refer
   to it from other types/schemas.

3. It is not clear how to submit changes.

> The first is so that, as the project grows, you don't need to include a
> 100k xsd just for the one data type you want. Copy/pasting into your own
> schema of course means that you don't get the benefit of any corrections
> that may occur later on. TANSTAAFL.

There are other problems, see above. Also, there is no plan of putting
all types in one file. Instead the idea is to have many small schema
files.

> The second is because joining a mailing list, requiring moderator
> approval, etc. is too high a barrier for some aspects.

I think you misunderstood the message. You can post to the mailing
list without subscribing, however a moderator will have to approve
your email first.

> I suppose it's an appropriate barrier if your goal is to provide a
> single, high-quality library of only generally-useful items. But my
> vision of this project, as above, is a huge repository for sharing
> all work, not just 'mostly' useful.

Well, I am trying to strike a balance between the two extremes. The
one being tightly-controlled but minimal library of useful types and
the other being "common place" repository of a large number of low-
quality, mostly useless components.

-boris