[xsd-users] XSD Vs XSD/e differences

Iain Sharp isharp at atis.org
Mon Jul 17 08:40:07 EDT 2017

Hi Folks,

I am looking at a project for an embedded application which is built around an object model derived from a set of already-defined XML Schema (XSD) files. The technical needs include:

  *   Generate an in-memory C++ data model based on the XSD
  *   Manipulate (read and write) the data model in C++
  *   Serialize data model instances to XML
  *   Parse XML to create an instance of the data model
  *   Export and import the data model to/from a DOM to allow serialization and parsing in protocols other than XML (the prototype uses Xerces in addition to XSD tree output)

I built an initial trial based on XSD which works OK, but even with the best optimizations I can find the code size is rather large - this seems to be mostly due to the large number of objects defined in the XSD.

Would swapping to XSD/e be expected to reduce the code size? If so, is there a rule of thumb for the benefit? On the "hello" example the code size actually seems to be bigger in XSD/e rather than XSD which I guess is due to substituting for the dynamically linked dependency on Xerces.

Is there a guide to the functional differences between XSD and XSD/e? The introductory material on the web site seems to imply the functionality and generated code is very similar.

Regards

Iain