[xsd-users] Resolving xlinks in a GML file

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Fri Jun 26 13:46:41 EDT 2015

Hi Laurence,

Laurence Davies <laurence.davies at unsw.edu.au> writes:

> I found a relevant solution you provided in 2008 on this subject in
> the email below that covers the gml:id case but not the latter. Would
> you know what call I would need to make to resolve a URL and, if
> possible, a URN?

If href is to a gml:id, it means it is to a node in the same object
model (or to some element in the same document, in XML terms). If
href is a URL/URN like below, what does it point to?

xlink:href="ftp://ftp.ga.gov.au/geodesy-outgoing/gnss/solutions/apref/apr18287.snx"

When you say "what call I would need to make to resolve a URL" what
do you want it to be resolved to? A byte stream? A file (that got
downloaded) on disk? Maybe, if it is always an image, you want this
call to display the image on the user's computer?