[xsd-users] Binary serialization performance in version 4.0.0 vs 3.3.0

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Oct 29 06:50:00 EDT 2014

Hi Svetlana,

svetlana.samsonik at thomsonreuters.com <svetlana.samsonik at thomsonreuters.com> writes:

> I did not give you correct results and yes, there is no performance
> difference between c++98 and c++11 optimized.
>
>       --std c++98 -O0  --std c++98 -O2   --std c++11 -O0   --std c++11 -O2
>
> Pasre XDR:         725            234          1405              230

Ok, this makes much more sense now. While it is curious that the non-
optimized C++11 build is twice as slow as non-optimized C++98, it is
not entirely unexpected. Talking about performance of non-optimized
code doesn't really make much sense; all kind of things can be going
on there (e.g., assert's, debug checks, etc).

> Do you still want parse() function? My newsMessage object is deeply nested.

In my view this is resolved unless you for some reason expect better
performance of the debug builds. If you are also satisfied with the
result, then, no, I don't need the parse() functions.