[xsd-users] [XSD] Mac binaries compatibility problem

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Fri Oct 14 09:48:49 EDT 2011

Hi Jose,

In the future please keep your replies CC'ed to the xsd-users mailing
list as discussed in the posting guidelines:

http://www.codesynthesis.com/support/posting-guidelines.xhtml

Jose <jc.fernandez.navarro at gmail.com> writes:

> But the problem is that the xdr.h file in MAC does not have int8 defined.

Yes, you are correct. I tried the 'binary/xdr' example and it worked. But
it doesn't use any 8-bit integers so it didn't pick this up.

> I can get a work around like this : "not really the best solution since
> technically int8 is not equal to int"

No, this is not a good workaround since the resulting binary representation
will be incompatible with other platforms (it will use 4 bytes while other
platforms will expect 1 byte). A better workaround would be to use the
xdr_char() and xdr_u_char() functions. I have re-implemented the fix and
updated the archive. Can you try it and see if it works for you?

http://www.codesynthesis.com/~boris/tmp/xsd/xsd-3.3.0-macosx-xdr.tar.bz

> So now it builds okay although I have gotten dependency errors in the
> linking with xercesc, I actually have the same problem when I compile it in
> windows and I can not really find a solution because the xercesc libraries
> that I am using have been compiled for either windows and mac with the flags
> indicated in the website. Do you know if something special has to be done to
> compile and/or link xercesc libraries in Windows and Mac, specially while
> using it with XSD??

No, things normally work out of the box. It is hard for me to say what's
going on without seeing the actual diagnostics (for both Mac OS X and
Windows).