[xsd-users] How to build an object process graph with custom types

Bo Ba bo-ba at mail.ru
Tue May 10 17:30:46 EDT 2011

Hello,

I would appreciate any thoughts of how suitable is xsd for building an object-process graph in memory for a visual DSL. An example of the application graph, presented in an IDE would look similar to this (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3398/3330814203_a0e6f80944.jpg): there are nodes which define data transformations, connected with arcs (one node -- many input/output arcs). I hope to be able to use xsd to parse an xml description of an instance of a program and create an object graph in memory, consisting of my own c++ types. From reading Getting Started guide so far, it seems that I could use XSD to generate a parser from a given schema, which would allow me to build a DOM structure from a given xml patch, which (DOM), in turn could be parsed by my own custom parser to create the executable object graph with custom types. This seems to be doable, however, a specific question I have whether it would be feasible to skip building the DOM structure and directly build my custom object graph using xsd.

Thanks.

--8