[xsd-users] Hybrid between XSD and XSD/e - parsing serialisation approach from XSD/e, but feature set and interface of XSD

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Thu Jun 16 09:37:22 EDT 2011

Hi Vladimir,

Vladimir.Michl at barclayscapital.com <Vladimir.Michl at barclayscapital.com> writes:

> Following features are missing for me from XSD/e:
>  - when validation is switched off, there is really not validation at all.
> XSDe provides at least some so invalid objects are not constructed. This
> is mainly about extensibility, being able to add new fields without need
> to recompile all receivers.

XSD/e actually provides explicit support for schema evolution. See the
examples in the examples/cxx/hybrid/evolution/ directory in the XSD/e
distribution.

>  - any and anyAttribute are ignored

You can handle wildcard content using object model, parser, and serializer
customization. See the 'wildcard' and 'custom/wildcard' examples for details.
With some effort, you can even store the content in a DOM-like format (see
the xml.* files in the evolution/ directory mentioned above.

>  - IDREF no static typing available.
>  - optional attributes should be returned as optional type rather then need
> to ask using XXX_present function.
>  - function naming - would have preferred to have java naming available.

Agree about these three. Though they are more of inconveniences rather than
missing functionality.