[xsd-users] Cross file references

Till Steinbach till.steinbach at informatik.haw-hamburg.de
Wed Aug 3 11:48:05 EDT 2011

Dear mailing list users,

i have a question concerning references. I have a huge XSD schema of my meta model that was generated from an Ecore model. My instances are divided in multiple xml files each with its own root. There are references between the files.

Example:

------------foo.xml---------------
<foo>
	<bar name="foobar"/>
</foo>

------------model.xml---------------
<model>
	<referencing element refBar="foo.xml#//foo/bar[@name='foobar']">
</model>

I then try to parse the model.xml. Of course the parser is not able to resolve the refBar object correctly since it does not understand the syntax of the reference (It is the EMF syntax). If there would be another way to specify such links I could change the references on the fly before parsing.

Is there a way to use links to elements in other files with xsd? I currently use xcerces as underlaying xml parser.

Thanks!
Till

Till Steinbach
till.steinbach at informatik.haw-hamburg.de

Arbeitsgruppe CoRE - Communication over Real-time Ethernet
Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften Hamburg
Raum 580B
Berliner Tor 7
20099 Hamburg
Tel.: +49 40 428 59 8406