[xsd-users] Code Generation with AutoTools

Bill Pringlemeir bpringle at sympatico.ca
Fri Feb 20 15:55:38 EST 2009

On 20 Feb 2009, steve at finagle.org wrote:

> 1. It tries to compile the generated files, fails because they don't
> exist, then generates them.  On a fresh source tree, I have to run
> make twice to get a successful build.  I suspect this is a side effect
> of libtool or automake.

I would take a look at the 'yacc' rules in other projects.  Ie, some
other project with a code generator.  I have hand written makefile and
use Gnu Make order-only rules to ensure that the files are built in a
fresh build.  Your depends should take care of incremental builds.  I
am pretty sure that this is not XSD specific.

> 2. The generated files must reside in $srcdir, instead of
> $builddir. This is only an issue when building under KDevelop, but it
> clutters up the source tree.

Try the '--output-dir' option.

hth,
Bill Pringlemeir.