[xsd-users] Compiling GML/CityGML (was: First question)

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Feb 10 08:52:43 EST 2009

Hi Jaume,

jaume.faus at vianova.no <jaume.faus at vianova.no> writes:

> However I still having some warnings even though I added the XML_LIBRARY
> macro at preprocessor definitions (I read it on the Xerces Tips wiki:
> http://wiki.codesynthesis.com/Xerces_tips ). I'm using the C:\Program
> Files\CodeSynthesis XSD 3.2\lib\vc-8.0\xerces-c_3.lib file as a
> dependency.

The MSI package for CodeSynthesis XSD comes with DLL versions of
Xerces-C++. There are no static versions so you should not use
the XML_LIBRARY macro. On Windows, to link to a DLL you still
link to the .lib file which is an import stub library. It seems
that you don't have a very good understanding of how dynamic
libraries are built and used on Windows and this mailing list
is not the right place to try to get this understanding.

> So, last question would be: what if I want to have CLR support? The target
> application is a mixture of all MS's .Net languages.  The only way to
> solve this that comes into my mind is to get xerces source code and compil
> it in VS. But I have only a couple of weeks experience in this VS world.
> Is there any other way?

Neither XSD nor Xerces-C++ support CLR. To be usable from the .Net
platform, the code should be written in Microsoft Managed C++ which
is very different from Standard C++. If your application is going
to run on .Net, then I suggest that you consider using the Microsoft's
xsd.exe tool (I have no idea whether it can compile GML/CityGML).