[xsd-users] import, include, namespaces, restriction and schema versioning

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Thu Aug 27 12:24:25 EDT 2009

Hi Bill,

Bill Pringlemeir <bpringle at sympatico.ca> writes:

> 1. You are a North American wishing to write an open source TV capture
> application.
>
> In order to do this you need schedule information.  There is a SOAP
> service provided by Tribune Media Services,
>
>   http://xmlbeans.googlepages.com/
>    - entry TMS XTVD - Tribune Media Services eXtensible TV Data
>
> It is highly unlikely that you will be generating the program
> schedules in your program.  At the SOAP level, you wish to
> generate/write the REQUEST messages and read the RESPONSE.  You might
> wish to use the generate the RESPONSE schedule by reading from a
> persisted file.  However, this would generally be a subset of the
> returned data and you might choose another data storage mechanism such
> as a database.  This would be a benefit if you wanted to query for any
> recent 'movies' that will be airing and automate the capture of these
> programs via a TV tuner card.  At first if might seem like XML
> persistence is a good thing, but it would probably only be useful for
> debugging.

I am not sure I follow. Are you saying you don't want to generate
the serialization code (already possible)? Or that you would like the
serialization to a (relational) database instead of XML? Can you
elaborate a bit?

> 2. You are part of a financial institution that is using the FpML
> schemas as a standard.  Your application only deals with Mortgages.
> Derivative, currency exchange, and many other data modeled in the FpML
> are not in the scope of your application.  You want to use the FpML
> schemas (and any future updates) and restrict the amount of generated
> code needed by your application's domain.

Hm, looks like you and Alan Amano are after the same feature. I just
replied to his email with some ideas:

http://www.codesynthesis.com/pipermail/xsd-users/2009-August/002434.html

If you have any thoughts on this, please let us know.