[xsd-users] XSD Licence Isue

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Thu Apr 2 05:42:02 EDT 2009

Hi Constantin,

Constantin Iacobescu <sir.costy at gmail.com> writes:

> I am speaking about an program which uses the XSD generated code to import
> and export data from/to xml files (LandXML, KML). Of course this
> import/export is made on runtime.
>
> I use the generated code by XSD to made a statical library which has
> includes for the libxsd files (to may compile and use it). So it is not
> linked wit some XSD precompiled library, just includes the files from libxsd
> folder.
> Also I had added to my library some classes which use the generated code
> classes and let me to parse and serialise xml files more easy. So I can
> import the data included in a xml file and/or export in a xml file format.
>
> So may I use XSD as a free license for my purpose? Or I need to buy some
> license?

In this scenario you have three options:

1. You can release the generated code and your program with full source
   code under the GPL.

2. You can release the generated code and your program with full source
   code under another open-source license. This option is covered by the
   FLOSSE. Note that you cannot release just the generated code (and a
   few helper classes) under an open-source license and then use it in
   your closed-source application. This kind of "relicensing" of the
   generated code is explicitly prohibited by FLOSSE.

3. You can obtain a proprietary license for the generated code in which
   case you will be free to distribute it and your application in object
   code or executable form and keep the source code for your application
   private. If you are interested in this option, contact
   sales at codesynthesis.com directly.