[xsd-users] link issues

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Jan 15 16:20:26 EST 2008

Hi Raymond,

Rizzuto, Raymond <Raymond.Rizzuto at sig.com> writes:

> I downloaded the 3.0 version of xsd for windows with the installer
> package.  I set up the include/lib/exe paths for Visual Studio 2005/VC8
> up as specified.  I am able to compile the example tree code, but get
> link errors.  For example, this is what happens when compiling the hello
> project:
>
> [...]
>
> hello.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual
> void __thiscall xercesc_2_7::InputSource::setSystemId(unsigned short
> const * const)" (?setSystemId at InputSource@xercesc_2_7@@UAEXQBG at Z)

Do you use the Xerces-C++ headers/libraries that came with the XSD
installer or did you build Xerces-C++ yourself?

If you are using Xerces-C++ that came with XSD, then one of the
following can cause the above link errors:

 1. There is another copy of Xerces-C++ headers and/or libraries
    present on your system and a wrong library gets linked instead
    of the one provided by XSD.

 2. You have changed how Visual Studio treats the wchar_t type
    in the hello project. To check that, open the "Project
    Properties" dialog in the "C/C++ -> Language" tab. By default
    the XSD example projects have the "Treat wchar_t as Built-in
    Type" option set to "yes".

If you are using your own copy of Xerces-C++ then the most likely
cause of these errors is the mismatch of the wchar_t handling
options between the Xerces-C++ libraries and the XSD example
projects.