[xsd-users] Polymorphism w/ substitution groups, but without xsi:type

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Feb 12 08:51:29 EST 2008

Hi Lane,

Lane Wimberley <techlane64 at gmail.com> writes:

> Everything builds just fine, but when I attempt to parse an instance file,
> the parser doesn't recognize the derived type (analogous to CD on pg 50) --
> it says the instance of the derived type is an "unknown element."

You need to compile your schemas with the --generate-polymorphic option.
See Section 2.11, "Mapping for xsi:type and Substitution Groups" in the
C++/Tree Mapping User Manual for more information:

http://www.codesynthesis.com/projects/xsd/documentation/cxx/tree/manual/#2.11

The 'polymorphism' example in the examples/cxx/tree/ directory can also
be useful.

> I just updated my xsd version to the latest -- 3.1.0-1 (Debian), and I'm
> using C++/Tree.  (I saw something about polymorphism not being supported
> completely in C++/Parser ... yet ... )

Actually, from XSD 3.1.0 polymorphism is completely support in both
C++/Tree and C++/Parser mappings.