[xsd-users] Makefile rules.

Bill Pringlemeir bpringle at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 8 18:23:39 EST 2008

On  5 Dec 2008, bpringle at sympatico.ca wrote:
On  5 Dec 2008, boris at codesynthesis.com wrote:

>> We have considered automatically generating makefile dependencies
>> for a long time now. For some reason nobody seems to be interested
>> in this feature. Basically, if you have b.xsd include a.xsd, you
>> will get something like this for b.xsd:

> [snip]

>> Let me know if you would be interested in something like this.

> [snip]

> It is fairly easy for people to make static make rules or script their
> own to do this dynamically.  All of the caveats that XSD would have to
> handle can be implicit in the makefiles...  That is probably why no
> one has requested it.

Arrgh!  Maybe I would like this feature.  gmake v3.81 doesn't accept this,

default: $(DEP_Service)
         @echo $^

second: test

# start chain
DEP_MessageBase = MessageBase.xsd
DEP_Record      = Record.xsd
DEP_Service     = Service.xsd $(DEP_MessageBase) $(DEP_Record)
# end chain

test: $(DEP_Service)
      @echo $^

Somehow recursive variables in the target seems to be broken; or I
have a mis-understanding.  Also, it seems that schema notation allows
for cyclic includes which I can never handle with recursive variables.

Things are even more bizarre with gmake when the 'chain' portion is a
dependant makefile.  Ie. 'include schema.d'.  I don't seem to be able
to relocate the variable declarations [there are a lot of other gnu
make features in the mix; static patterns, order-only, macros, etc].

Fwiw,
Bill Pringlemeir.