[xsd-users] wsdl support - slightly off-topic question

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Aug 5 15:00:37 EDT 2008

Hi Shiva,

Thanks for providing your feedback.

Balasubramanyam, Shivakumar <sbalasub at qualcomm.com> writes:

> gSOAP is very specific to SOAP protocol which is what you are
> specifically looking for. As you pointed out, gsoap provides one feature
> worth noting, RPC invocation when compared to XSD. However, gSOAP is not
> a true WSDL product for the reasons that WSDL provides multiple RPC
> protocols like JMS binding, http binding which gSOAP does not provide
> and rightfully not expected as well. The issue however is that once you
> change the RPC, all your client code now needs to be ripped off. So
> gSOAP is not for a forward looking application user.

Let me see if I understood your idea right. What you seem to want is
to decouple the stub/servant (stub is a client-side class used to make
an invocation and servant is a server-side class used to receive an
invocation, using CORBA terminology) from the protocol/transport. This
way the WSDL compiler generates data types for messages along with
stubs/skeletons for the services which can be "attached" to any
underlying messaging/RPC protocol (e.g., SOAP, etc) and transport
(e.g., HTTP, raw TCP, etc).

If that's what you are looking for then I was also thinking along
these lines. In fact, at least at the beginning, we may not even
provide the transport implementation. Instead, the user can use
existing (or custom) libraries, for example, libculr on the client
side and apache web server on the server side for the HTTP transport.