[xsd-users] Multiple Serialization Library

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Apr 21 13:44:55 EDT 2008

Hi Shiva,

Balasubramanyam, Shivakumar <sbalasub at qualcomm.com> writes:

> I have a number of users requesting for the separation of these modules.
> I know we have discussed this before and hope we can get it sometime in
> the near future :-)

What is the goal of this separation (e.g., do they want to avoid
runtime dependency (e.g., if Boost serialization is not used then
the application is not linked to boost) or do they want to also
avoid compile-time dependencies (e.g., if Boost serialization
is not used then Boost headers are not required to build the
application)? It is easier to support the former than the latter
(e.g., we could generate the implementation code for XML
serialization, Boost serialization, etc., into separate source
files but the generated header will still include declarations
for these things).

> On a separate note, is there a link to indicate what features you have
> in store for future releases?

There is such a page, though it only includes high-impact features
(like new mappings):

http://www.codesynthesis.com/projects/xsd/documentation/future.xhtml

There is also a number of smaller features in store that enhance
certain areas or improve the overall quality. We also work on the
"underlying technologies", e.g., Xerces-C++ 3.0.0 which will have
a number of XML Schema-related bugs fixed, as well as XQilla which
provides XPath 2.0 support (in the next release there will be an
example on how to use XPath together with the C++/Tree mapping).

> Are you planning to use C++ 0x features on the generated code?

Hm, we don't have any immediate plans to use 0x features, especially
since, I assume, compiler support for them is not very wide-spread.
However, if there is a feature that the community feels makes their
lives much easier then we are always open to add a compiler option.