[xsd-users] Groups and AttributeGroups

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Mar 14 15:10:45 EDT 2007

Hi Mark,

Mark Watson <mark at digitalfountain.com> writes:

> It wasn't object code size that I was concerned about. Rather the size of
> the generated code and thus the difficulty in browsing/understanding that.

I don't know about you but I would probably prefer to have all my
accessors/modifiers to be present at one place (class definition)
instead of looking in a dozen of base classes.

> You could reasonably say that I should never need to look at the generated
> code, since I should know how to manipulate the objects from the mapping
> rules, and so the issue will go away as I become more familiar with those
> mapping rules.

We have no problem with you looking at the generated code ;-).
That's why we try to make it as close to hand-written as possible.

I think some people like to "know" what is being generated while
other like to look it up. Also in order to "know" one may need
to look at the definition in the schema so it could actually be
easier to just check the generated code.

In the next version of XSD we are planning to rework the code
generated for accessors and modifiers which should also result
in fewer lines of source code.