[xsd-users] XML Object to String/Text

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Feb 21 10:10:49 EST 2007

Hi Paddy,

Paddy Vishnubhatt <Paddy.Vishnubhatt at 3leafnetworks.com> writes:

> 1. is there a simple way to get a stringified representation of the
>    object? Like in the Java API (xmlbeans), xmlText() or even toString()
>    which outputs a Sring representation of the given Xml Object?

You can use one of the serialization functions together with
std::ostringstream. For instance, in the library example there is
the this line:

// Write it out.
//
catalog_ (std::cout, *c, map);

You can replace it with something like this (also add #include <sstream>):

// Write it to string.
//
std::ostringstream ostr;

catalog_ (ostr, *c, map);

std::string str = ostr.str (); // XML is in str.

> 2. I see that there are documented ways to create DOMDocument from which
>    one can use DOMWriter to use writeString to get to ultimately get to
>    the string - is there an example/sample code that I can use for/as
>    reference.

There is some sample DOM manipulation code on the Wiki, see for example
3.1 and 3.2:

http://wiki.codesynthesis.com/Tree/FAQ

The ostringstream way is much easier though.