[xsd-users] ##any type problems

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Dec 18 04:48:07 EST 2006

Hi Bradley,

Bradley Beddoes <beddoes at intient.com> writes:

> Yes thats exactly how it is intended to be used here in the SAML schema,
> ArtifactResponse the element having problems may contain any message
> from the SAML protocol when it is being transmitted

Can it contain any of the elements from StatusResponseType (from
which ArtifactResponseType inherits): Issuer, Signature, Extensions,
or Status? If the wildcard is supposed to carry payload then I think
it is unlikely to contain these "header" elements. If that's the
case then you could ignore the error (with an appropriate command
line option that I can add).

> What sort of work would be required to support this?

There are two ways to support ##any in general case that I can think
of at the moment:

1. Implement full-blown structure validation. This is a lot of work
   and also has other negative consequences such as significantly
   increasing object code size. At the moment we are working on a
   hybrid Parser/Tree mapping which will support validation in the
   generated code.

2. Use Xerces-C++ post-schema validation infoset (PSVI) to figure
   out associations. This shouldn't be too hard to implement and
   probably won't increase the generated code by too much. The only
   significant limitation of this approach is that it will only
   work with validation enabled.