[odb-users] Integrating ODB into an automake project

Per Edin per.edin at sequence-point.se
Mon Jan 17 10:43:02 EST 2022

Hi!

I'm using build2 for building my projects, but I think the same applies to
whatever build system you're using.

Don't "auto-generate" the files during build, instead, create a script that
runs ODB on whatever files are required, then commit those files as part of
the source tree. This allows others to build the project without requiring
the ODB compiler unless they also have to modify the schema.

In addition, ODB generates a changelog of the schema to enable migrations,
this file needs to be committed as well, and could change as a result of
simply building the project if ODB is run automatically.

In conclusion, I would advise against auto-running ODB during builds. I did
try and gave up on it.

See https://git.build2.org/cgit/bdep/tree/bdep/odb.sh for an example (part
of bdep, part of build2).

Kind regards,